Note: This project was completed as a class assignment at the Art Institute of Seattle. This was not done directly for Helly Hansen (though it would be very rad if HH took a liking to it). I hope that in some way the sharing of my process may be of inspiration to you.
Over the past few weeks I’ve been showing sneak peeks of projects that I’m working on via Twit-pics and now its here. If you’re just tuning into the blog, you can follow on twitter to see things that don’t make the blog.
Before diving into the process, let me define the project. The goal of the project was to choose an existing company and create a minimum of 28 pages, bound, and at least 6 x 7″ or larger publication. The publication was to be an annual report about the company; presenting who they were in the industry and their financial success. The financial section of the project was required to have at least 6 to 7 pages of tabled financial data.
The company I chose was Helly Hansen and there were several reasons why. Every project that I do for an assignment (if I have the opportunity to choose), I like to choose companies that are easy to work with based on their branding. I also like to consider what options I have when working with their logo as well as the photography of the project.
The most important thing to me was to portray the report close enough alongside their branding, that it would fit within. If you look closely at the Helly Hansen logo, you’ll see that the two H’s are separated by an angle. Each spread uses that angle is echoed lightly throughout the entire report.
The second idea I used took the logo’s height and width to determine the size of the annual report. To do this I enlarged the logo roughly 600% until the width reached 8.5″. This idea alone drives the report.
The third most important idea of my concepts was to put a small change on the images that were shown throughout the report. For those who may not know, Helly Hansen’s product line was originally and still remains focused on performance gear for boating and heavy outdoor use.
Since photography remains dear to me, it was only right that I go the extra mile (or 13.6 for that matter) to get the shots myself. Check out the photos from the shoots in this next, Frame by Frame clip (view in High Quality).
Instead of showing stock imagery or images gathered by HH themselves, I shot my own style with regards to what was appropriate for the report. Over 1,000 images were shot for the project (usually I’d shoot more) but only 15 were used in the publication. I felt like this is a pretty high percentage of keepers to tossers.
The Cover & Binding
To start the building of the cover, I purchased Gorilla glue (Home Depot), Vinyl/Fake Leather (JoAnn’s Fabrics) and Basswood (Utrecht). The following images show just how I made each piece.
I utilized a laser cutter to etch/carve the logo into the front cover. Once again you see the angled lines echoed both on the front and on the back covers along with “ANNUAL REPORT” on the front and “HELLYHANSEN.COM” on the back.
Having never worked with perfect-binding a book before, I did my research online on the materials needed, clamping it, gluing it and also attaching it to the covers. A lot of the process is very simple and straightforward if you have another book or pictures to reference while you build yours.
I would have to say, I am very satisfied with how the overall piece turned out and I can’t wait to try the whole process again. Lets turn it over to you since this post is for you. If you enjoy what I’ve done here, let me know–feedback is always welcomed.